Sunday, May 21, 2023

river wind mountain sky- new music




 For decades now, I have been making music that comes from places— from mountains, waters, and sky; places outside, around, and inside me.  I don’t only hear this music; I see it, and feel it: texture, color, proportion, vibration; distance, scale, spaciousness.


I have used magnetic tape, field recordings, guitars, steel guitars, and digital processing to make these pieces, and it has been interesting to find, over the years, that despite the changes in tools and technologies the music has had a consistent sound and sense to it.


In the past two years I have become interested in expressing this music with orchestral string sounds, and with the help of string synth sounds–played on guitar– have realized a long work in four movements,  RIVER WIND MOUNTAIN SKY.


The four movements were composed and recorded during the winter of 2022-23. The music was conceived as consisting of two orchestral string ensembles, each located in space along a resonant horizon.   

-KMB